So, you have enjoyed the website, you feel we are a special boat and that you would fit right in, and now you want to get in touch with us to apply… Not so fast, please read on.
Well, first of all, I won’t hide the fact that I have loads of applicants, and that I’m getting a hard time picking the right people, especially since so many new ones write to me all the time… I regularly have to turn some (a lot actually) people down, so please consider whether this is something you really really want to do before writing to me.
That said, keep in mind that it will reflect badly on you if it is apparent from your message that you haven’t read the website carefully. All this information is there for a reason: I have better things to do than to answer the same questions over and over to all the people who want to come sailing on Karaka. If you haven’t done so already, please go back and read at least the following pages:
Now that we are clear on all that, the only way that has a reasonable chance of success at attracting my attention is by sending me a nice email. Please, send me a short biographical sketch so I can have an idea of your background, abilities, and interests. Also write a short description of what attracts you to sailing on Karaka and what you feel you”ll be uting to the crew, along with a recent photograph of yourself. Absolutely no CV/resumes please, I can’t stand them.
Among all the applicants, I will probably pick first the ones who can stay for the long haul with no return dates in mind, so if you can only come for a month or two, make sure you are damn convincing. Be aware that it is extremely rare that I accept people who can stay less than a month.
A few of the things that could play in your favor and that you should mention are:
- Sailing experience (or at least a full understanding of what it is like to live on a sailboat in the tropics)
- Skills and abilities related to maintenance (even if you never applied them to fixing a boat)
- A love of water, diving, fishing, kayaking, surfing, etc (if you are scared of deep water, forget it)
- Artistic abilities : Do you play music, paint, perform, build, carve, forge or anything else like that? I like to have musicians on board for example. Being on the boat is a good time to get creative, and it is more rewarding that spending all your free time watching TV series on a laptop. Just tell me where you sit on that. And also mention if there is something, an art, a craft or anything you always wanted to get into…
- The last thing is that I really insist on having a strong community building on the boat, I like the crew to get involved with the others and feel like a team, working together to make things happen…Of course is almost always happen on a sailing perspective, working the boat and all that, by necessity especially with people staying a very long time, but I like to push it further and try to have people on board trying to make it work as a community also, possibly putting together projects, either just for fun or for making some extra funds to finance the trip… it can be artistic such as busking in the street all together or even playing gigs if the musicians are good enough, or getting involved with some community project in the islands, do workshops with the locals sharing skills and knowledge, help out with the environment, things like that.There is not much going on in the remote islands but there is enough that we can work on something, trying to be a bit more than another bunch of tourists on holiday. It is a big part of what I’m trying to do with my boat and it is important to me, shoot me impressions and ideas and how you think you could fit in that aspect of the life on board, any experiences you had, etc etc…
You are still reading? Well, good for you, here is the email address:
We also have a facebook account for the boat, and you can try to find it by looking for ketchkaraka. I am not very serious about keeping it up to date but there are a lot of recent photos on it, especially from crew and friends. One thing about this though, I don’t accept just anybody as “facebook friend” so if you send me a request please send me a little message as well, to let me know who you are.